Discipline not Love

If you ask me where I got the following phrase from, I have to admit I don't remember. I might have read it somewhere, heard it on the television, or overheard it somewhere. Anyways, wherever I heard it from, it has been stuck running around my head for quite sometime now and it won't stop until I write about. What is it? It is a definition that I think truly defines the word "discipline."

It goes like this: "Discipline is doing something you hate like you love it."

Think about it.

It reminded me of a comment a friend made to me quite some time ago. She said, "Unlike you, I don't like running." Let me get this clear. I assure you, I do NOT like running.

I run because I know it's good for me.
I run because it's good for my health.
I run because it keeps my weight in check.
I run because it makes my brain feel clear and refreshed.
I run because it lowers my stress level.
I run because it makes me feel happier.
I run because it makes my skin glow.

I run so that I can eat whatever I want.
I run so that I can wear the clothes I want to wear.
I run so that I can feel active and explore this world.
I run so that I have the energy to do all that I want to do in this world.
I run so that I don't have to spend my life ruled by doctors.

I run to challenge myself.

I run not because I "like" to run. I run not because I "love" it. I run for the sake of running.

I guess this is what you call "discipline." Doing something you don't really like, as if you "loved" it.

So take out those running shoes and go run/exercise and do whatever you need to for your health. Even if you don't love it, do it for all the goodness it brings you. That's discipline. It's not easy, but it can be done.

Which reminds me, I have to wake up early to run tomorrow. Just twice a week to keep me healthy. It's not much time considering how much time we spend on the internet or in the car. :)

Good night and Sweet dreams :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eggs for Easter

Receive with simplicity...

Three Hundred Nights