Bangkok Dining: Brunch at "The Horse Says Moooo"





This past weekend, my friends and I went to try out a new restaurant.  Thanks to one of my dearest friends, who always seeks out wonderful new places, we get to try out new restaurants and eateries which aren't located in hotels and department stores.  Those are left for the days when you need a safe option.   This weekend we went to a Restaurant and Winebar on Sukhumvit  Soi 33 called "The Horse Says Mooo0."

It's a strange name that really catches your attention and has everyone asking "What is the name again?" the first time they hear it.  That was certainly my reaction.  It is also a name that once you've heard it and been, it's hard to forget.  I definitely won't be forgetting it anytime soon (which I suppose is what the owners must want.)

We went there for brunch, but they are also serve wine and beer and have live music along so the atmosphere must be quite different.  It seems to be a restaurant of many "moods" depending upon the time of day.  Perfect for a horse that needs variety.   The brunch mood was calm, cosy and I felt like I was eating in a private room.    It was Saturday so the brunch crowd wasn't too big and there were only a couple tables while we ate there. I loved it and thought it perfect for alittle mini-reunion because then you are sure to hear the person opposite you whilst just relaxing and taking your time eating.  You don't need to feel pressured to vacate the table for the next person in line.

What about their food?  Starters was Grandma's original pancake with butter, honey and maple syrup(200thb).  The pancakes were crispy on the edges and the middle soft.  Just the way I like it.  Maple syrup is always good and they provide it in a jug so you can have as much as you want.


We ordered the all time favorite brunch food of Eggs Benedict (350thb).   It came out beautifully arranged and equally tasty.  I loved the freshly poached eggs and the salmon.  My only wish was that we had a little more of the hollandaise sauce.  I suppose I also am a bit of traditionalist. I am not too big a fan of the citrus in the sauce, but it was still good nevertheless.  Yes, I will go there and eat it again.


Next was the corned beef hash with potato slices and fresh thyme (280thb).  This was one of my favorite dishes.  I think it's because for me it's like comfort food.  It simple yet satisfying with corn beef and potatoes.  I feel like that food critic in the animation "Ratatouille" that gets pleasure from a dish that reminds him of home.  (The only difference for me is that I don't eat beef hash at home, but it is someone like one of those comfort foods.)


Crab cake salad with lemon creme fraiche (250thb) came next.  It was good and seemingly more healthy than the beef hash, but the amount of fresh crabs they put into the crab cake might be enough to make anyone with high cholesterol scared.  It's good a good scare though, I love crab cakes which are filled with crab meat.  You really taste the flavor and biting into it is very satisfying.  I also loved the fresh greens they put on top. It complements the crab cake well.


Our final main dish was Toad in the hole with yorkshire pudding, italian sausage and onion gravy (300thb). It's a large portion so beware when ordering.  I loved the sausage (yet I always do) and the pudding was great too. Though,  I think my stomach was just a little too full from all the other delicious dishes to really appreciate it's flavor.  You will just have to go and try it yourself.

For dessert, we ordered the Raspberry Tiramisu.  It was out of this world. I love raspberries. In fact I love anything berry so it's always a delight for me to eat.  I have to tell you though that here you really get a full satisfying serving so make sure you have enough space to eat it all.

The pictures and the writing is once again making me hungry so I shall have to say my farewell.  I know not who the owners are, but I heard that the name comes from the years they were born. A group of friends with some born in the year of the horse and some in the year of the pig (which in Thai is pronounced "moo")  Wonderfully original isn't it?

It's accessible by BTS Phromphong station (the same one as Emporium) and they have 4 hours parking at the UBC building at the beginning of Sukhumvit Soi 33.  The restaurant is just a short walk and is located diagonally opposite Novotel Lotus hotel.

Oh here's their contact info:  Tel. 02-662-0402  Fax. 02-662-0402  Website: www.thehorsesaysmoooo.com  they also have an FB page so check it out.  I tried their website and seem to have trouble, but you might have better luck than me!  Bon Appetit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eggs for Easter

Receive with simplicity...

Three Hundred Nights